We expect our care team to work by the guidelines set out in the ‘Code of Conduct for Healthcare Support Workers and Adult Social Care Workers in England’. Working to this code of conduct not only helps those who use our health and care services to understand what standards they can expect from us, but also helps you as the Healthcare or Social care worker.
By working to this code, it means that you have a set of clear guidelines so that you can be sure of the standards you are expected to meet. This helps to know if you are working to these standards or whether you need to change your way of working. It also allows you to identify areas for continuing professional development. Most importantly, the code helps you to fulfil the requirements of your role to the highest standard, meaning that you behave correctly and do the right thing at all times which is essential to protect the people who use our health and care services.
The Code of Conduct 7 steps are:
- Be accountable by making sure you can answer for your actions or omissions
- Promote and uphold the privacy, dignity, rights, health and wellbeing of people who use health and care services and their carers at all times
- Work in collaboration with your colleagues to ensure the delivery of high quality, safe and compassionate healthcare, care and support
- Communicate in an open and effective way to promote the health, safety and wellbeing of people who use care services and their carers
- Respect a person’s right to confidentiality
- Strive to improve the quality of healthcare, care and support through continuing professional development
- Uphold and promote equality, diversity and inclusion